Few problems

Hey folk,

Just a few bugs/errors/general queries I've noticed in recent weeks:

Keycode 4 in both slink and potato seems to be broken using the uk keymap.  Instead of printing a sterling sign, it gives a pound sign followed by a linefeed.  If there is already text on the line, the poundsign is places at the beginning, then newline'd.  I've tried using seperate binary of loadkeys as well as a seperate uk.map (from an older distribution which had no such problem) which didn't recitfy the problem.  Broken termtype?

Upgrading to potato doesn't seem to add /dev/pts to /etc/fstab, or (from what I gather from other users) create an rcS.d script to mount it.  Is it part of a seperate package outside of required base which I might have missed during dist-upgrade?

Could someone explain why .dsc source files are provided as part of apt, if there *isn't* a bsd-style make.conf to pass on local optimisations etc?  I don't see the benefit of downloading source (which I prefer to do), if it's just going to compile it in exactly the same way as the binary .deb has been done - not allowing for local pgcc/-O6/malign stupidities :)  I also couldn't find a way to force it to use my custom CFLAGS etc.

xemacs21 for potato doesn't seem to adhere to debian policy with regard to delete/backspace escape characters - the Delete key sends a ^H in both X and terminal instead of the proper sequence.  Also it corrupts the console when exiting by replacing the normal "_" cursor with a block one.  Not sure if that's a bug or "feature" :)

That's enough for now, I don't want to sound like a moaning git :) - overall I'm very pleased with initial use of debian after being a hardcore slackware user and glad I moved over - just a few niggles which could start to be come annoyance if they persist.

Cheers,

Jon Perkin