Re: tex/latex: I can't find the format file `latex.fmt'!

On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 16:21, hawk@hawkins.cba.uni.edu wrote:
> Pann proposed,
>
> > Believe it or not, this is a date (not Y2K) related problem. Install the
> > newer tetex package(s) from proposed-updates.
>
> We have a winner :)  Wow.
>
> Do you happen to know how they got a non-y2k date bug in?  I wasn't
> expecting to worry about those for another 30 years :)
>
> Or was this a debian quirk--the slightly older packages on that other
> debian box weren't bothered and still worked.

Nope, the selfsame package that I had installed on many other machines
over several months failed (just like yours did) when I finally
freed up enough disk space to install teTeX on my home box. (And the
installations on those other boxen kept working.)

I attempted most of the manual fixups that have been suggested on the
list and none of them worked. If memory serves (and that's a big if)
something in the package just said "to hell with you, it's been more
than a year since I was built so I'm not gonna play any more." I think
the drop-dead date was 08-Dec-1999.

The date on my /usr/local/tetex directory is 13-Dec-1999, so I didn't
fight it long before going to the tetex site and doing a /usr/local
install. And as I recall, it was less than a week later that a fixed
package was uploaded to proposed updates.

Cheers,
 Pann
--
geek by nature, Linux by choice                     L I N U X       .~.
                                                    The Choice      /V\