Re: www.debian.org very slow indeed?

On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, George Bonser wrote:

 : On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, Carl Fink wrote:
 :
 : > Has anyone else noticed that the main (US) Debian servers have been
 : > remarkably slow lately?  Both trying to use the web site, and
 : > ftp.debian.org for apt.
 : >
 : > I've switched apt to a mirror, but the mirrors of the web site are
 : > also so slow as to be nearly unusable?

All this sounds like a problem with the provider ... traceroutes may be
in order.

 : One problem is the mirrors themselves. There is no standard method for
 : mirroring or any policy.

Uh, no - this isn't true for http.us.debian.org

[ snip ]

 : There is no policy for ensuring that the Packages file on 63.209.15.252
 : matches the files on 207.69.194.216 so failures are frequent. To avoid the
 : whole problem many just use ftp.debian.org and are done with it. I really
 : do not care if things are not the most current, I do care that it is
 : consistant and predictable.

Actually there is - all mirrors which comprise http.us.debian.org are
(supposed) to be primary-push mirrors.  They are updated regularly every
day at the same time.  The primary ftp server inititates the update.

 : Hate to bitch without offering a suggestion so one way of doing this is:
 :
 : 1. round-robin mirrors grab all the new packages
 : 2. they notify the central server that the update is complete
 : 3. Once all servers have notified the central server that they have all
 :    packages, the new Packages files are pushed to them and old packages
 :    that have been replaced (files that no longer exists on the master )
 :    are deleted.
 : 4. If a server has not notified the central master by a certain "drop
 :    dead" time, it is removed from round-robin DNS and the Packages files
 :    are pushed to the others. Once it reports in, its Packages file is sent
 :    and it is added to the round-robin DNS.

Hmm, good ideas ... let's see code :)  You might want to float the idea
on debian-mirrors also.

Thanks,

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD