Re: www.debian.org very slow indeed?

On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, Carl Fink wrote:

 : Has anyone else noticed that the main (US) Debian servers have been
 : remarkably slow lately?  Both trying to use the web site, and
 : ftp.debian.org for apt.

The web site is on a different server altogether as far as I know.

 : I've switched apt to a mirror, but the mirrors of the web site are
 : also so slow as to be nearly unusable?

Did you try http.us.debian.org?  That's a round-robin DNS record dor
several servers; there's a package whose name escapes me that will allow
you to find the "best" one.

Feel free to check out debian.midco.net; if it's fast for you use it :)
We're a primary-push mirror.

 : Has Debian gotten too popular for its infrastructure?

Possibly - it's hard to maintain "fast" net-access across the Internet
as a whole.  The infrastructure of the Internet itself grows in
complexity every day as well ...

 : I may actually be able to offer some mirror space in the near term,
 : but not right now.

There's a debian-mirrors list in addition to the mirror info on the web
page.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD