Re: ftp daemon update requires potato

On Sun, Jan 09, 2000 at 05:17:36PM -0800, Mike Z. wrote:

> All I really need is an ftp server (I like wu for various reasons) on a
> stable system.  Why is it that simply upgrading the ftpd would throw my
> setup into an 'unstable' version?  Is this likely to be a problem whenever
> I install recently released software?  Is Slink a bit behind when it comes
> to c libraries, etc?

Yes, it is.  Without doing any actual checking, I would bet that the
wu fix didn't happen until after the conversion to glibc2.1 and just
hasn't been backported to slink.

> My impression is that many people use potato and it's 'plenty stable' but
> I've read a few notes on the list regarding weird anomalies with potato.  I
> don't really want to be told to use potato because it's okay and then
> suffer any odd consequences (as I'm running a server that I expect to be
> operational all the time).

I haven't had any problems:

00:52 ~ $ ud -d
- Uptime for peon -
Now  : 14:12:45 running Linux 2.2.14
One  : 45 day(s), 11:51:13 running Linux 2.2.13, ended Sun Jan  9 01:18:49 2000
Two  : 32 day(s), 11:10:43 running Linux 2.2.9, ended Thu Sep 23 09:12:45 1999
Three: 31 day(s), 19:24:26 running Linux 2.2.9, ended Wed Sep 22 17:26:27 1999

I rebooted last night to try the new kernel; was going to play with
the framebuffer but couldn't get it to work with my sorry excuse for
video hardware.  I probably will have the machine up until I move in May.

If you're worried about potato packages being unstable, then don't get
them unless you're already having trouble with them.  If you do decide
to upgrade, check bugs.debian.org/<package> and this list for heinous
bugs first.

Rob

--
You will experience a strong urge to do good; but it will pass.