Re: Computer won't start

On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, aphro wrote:

> however unlikely did you try setting the date back before the year2000
> ? one of my friend's computers had a similar problem(although not as
> severe) and when he set the clock back it was ok, i have a
> 486DX4-100(rather new ~1995) and sofar it hasnt experienced any problems.
The computer I'm having this problem on is a newer oone (about 2 years
old?) with a 233 processor so I wouldn't think Y2K affected it. And if Y2K
would do that, then why would it happen one and a half week after it hit
Jan 1st?

> have you done anything odd to your computer before this happened? besides
> changing the date only thing i can think of is keep swapping things till
> it works..not more more anyone can do then that:)
Nope, haven't done anything to it. I can't change the date because nothing
on the screen shows up. No memory count, no Energy Star compliat logo,
no 'Press DEL to run setup' or anything like that.

I'm trying to save some time here because I need to use the 28.8
connection through pine (REALLY slow) so I'll answer something from a
different message. No, the floppy drive isn't being checked for at all. It
doesn't reach that stage where it's supposed to check the
floppy/harddrive/cdrom drives. Stops before then. I really think it could
be the BIOS. Can anyone confirm and offer some advice/URLs I can try?

(I'm sorry, I need to leave the rest of this message here because it would
take forever for me to delete it)

nate > > On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, Bart Szyszka wrote: > > barts >Hi,