Re: Computer won't start

Bart Szyszka wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, aphro wrote:
>
> > however unlikely did you try setting the date back before the year2000
> > ? one of my friend's computers had a similar problem(although not as
> > severe) and when he set the clock back it was ok, i have a
> > 486DX4-100(rather new ~1995) and sofar it hasnt experienced any problems.
> The computer I'm having this problem on is a newer oone (about 2 years
> old?) with a 233 processor so I wouldn't think Y2K affected it. And if Y2K
> would do that, then why would it happen one and a half week after it hit
> Jan 1st?
>
> > have you done anything odd to your computer before this happened? besides
> > changing the date only thing i can think of is keep swapping things till
> > it works..not more more anyone can do then that:)
> Nope, haven't done anything to it. I can't change the date because nothing
> on the screen shows up. No memory count, no Energy Star compliat logo,
> no 'Press DEL to run setup' or anything like that.
>
> I'm trying to save some time here because I need to use the 28.8
> connection through pine (REALLY slow) so I'll answer something from a
> different message. No, the floppy drive isn't being checked for at all. It
> doesn't reach that stage where it's supposed to check the
> floppy/harddrive/cdrom drives. Stops before then. I really think it could
> be the BIOS. Can anyone confirm and offer some advice/URLs I can try?

A few weeks ago I was trying to get a motherboard to work, and I was
getting pretty much the symptoms you're describing. I pulled all the
expansion cards, replaced the CPU and RAM, checked and double-checked
and octuplet-checked and etc the jumpers.  Fortunately I had an
identical motherboard so I was able to configure the two boards exactly
alike, then pull the stuff (CPU, RAM) from the working board and put it
on the non-working board for testing. I finally just pronounced the
motherboard "dead" (whether it was the BIOS or a support chip or what,
as far as I was concerned it was the m/b). I'll just shell out the $99
bucks to replace it with a FIC VA503+ (or is it 503A? I always forget
until I compare them).