Re: Computer won't start

oh, thought u said u were on a 486 ..thats why i suggested that :)

nate

On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, Bart Szyszka wrote:

barts >
barts >
barts >On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, aphro wrote:
barts >
barts >> however unlikely did you try setting the date back before the year2000
barts >> ? one of my friend's computers had a similar problem(although not as
barts >> severe) and when he set the clock back it was ok, i have a
barts >> 486DX4-100(rather new ~1995) and sofar it hasnt experienced any problems.
barts >The computer I'm having this problem on is a newer oone (about 2 years
barts >old?) with a 233 processor so I wouldn't think Y2K affected it. And if Y2K
barts >would do that, then why would it happen one and a half week after it hit
barts >Jan 1st?
barts >
barts >> have you done anything odd to your computer before this happened? besides
barts >> changing the date only thing i can think of is keep swapping things till
barts >> it works..not more more anyone can do then that:)
barts >Nope, haven't done anything to it. I can't change the date because nothing
barts >on the screen shows up. No memory count, no Energy Star compliat logo,
barts >no 'Press DEL to run setup' or anything like that.
barts >
barts >I'm trying to save some time here because I need to use the 28.8
barts >connection through pine (REALLY slow) so I'll answer something from a
barts >different message. No, the floppy drive isn't being checked for at all. It
barts >doesn't reach that stage where it's supposed to check the
barts >floppy/harddrive/cdrom drives. Stops before then. I really think it could
barts >be the BIOS. Can anyone confirm and offer some advice/URLs I can try?
barts >
barts >(I'm sorry, I need to leave the rest of this message here because it would
barts >take forever for me to delete it)
barts > > >
barts >nate > > On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, Bart Szyszka wrote: > > barts >Hi,
barts >> barts >
barts >> barts >I've been having problems in both Debian and Windows,
barts >> barts >so I'm not sure which one could be causing this (probably
barts >> barts >Windows?), but when I turn on my computer right now, it
barts >> barts >doesn't start. I get absolutely nothing on my screen except
barts >> barts >the default thing that shows up on the monitor if the computer
barts >> barts >is turned off and on the older monitor I tried it with it's
barts >> barts >just a blank blank space. I hear a little ticking like it's
barts >> barts >doing something, but that doesn't last long because when I
barts >> barts >put a boot disk in it doesn't go far enough to be trying to
barts >> barts >boot of the harddrive/floppy/cdrom. I've tried replacing the
barts >> barts >graphics card with a different one so it doesn't look like that's
barts >> barts >the problem. My guess is that this is a BIOS problem. Any ideas?
barts >> barts >Could a (Windows?) virus have caused this? Is the bios (I have
barts >> barts >an AMIBIOS in that computer) replacable? Easily? Inexpenssively?
barts >> barts >I'd appreciate some help with this. I'm using a very old computer
barts >> barts >right now with a 486 that can barely handle this telnet prompt
barts >> barts >in Win95 (I install Debian off the harddrive and don't have
barts >> barts >anything downloaded for it in this computer for me to be able to
barts >> barts >set it up easily), BTW. I'd appreciate some advice (in private
barts >> barts >since this might not be specific to Debian?).
barts >> barts >
barts >> barts >- Bart
barts >> barts >
barts >> barts >