Re: Adding a superuser

Robert Marlow (2) <rmarlow@tartarus.uwa.edu.au> writes:

> Why on Earth would u want to???

Well, I have two superuser accounts on my system: root with default
shell "bash", and toor with default shell "sh". This is very common
usage on BSD systems -- if bash becomes corrupted or inaccessible, you
can login with "toor" and do your thing.

IIRC, bash is almost always dynamically linked, while sh is statically
linked. It's a good measure to have a fall-back superuser account for
emergencies, IMHO.

The way to add a superuser is to create another user account with a
userid 0.

,----[ For example ]
| tea:~# useradd -u 0 -o -g root -d /root -s /bin/sh toor
`----

Don't forget to do a "passwd toor" after that.
--
Arcady Genkin                                 http://www.thpoon.com
"'What good is my pity? Is not the pity the cross upon which he who