Re: debhelper, potato sources on slink

Hi!

> > Potato sources seem to be useless for slink installations.
>
> Some may be useless, e.g. sources that explicitly require glibc-2.1
> or gcc-2.95.

The problems I encountered where in no case compiler- or library-related.
Compilation worked fine. The only problem was that the package building
process did not work. I could have installed the programs by hand, but I
would have to bypass the package control system and would get problems when
the real packages eventually come out.

It should be possible to build packages for local installations from potato.
If it is not possible to do this, many of the advantages of providing source
packages and not merely sources would go away. You would be stuck with
stable. So often someone's problems were solved by "grab the potato
version of it".

If I install a package from unstable and it does not work right in my
environment, that is OK. But I want at least to try if I like to. Without
having to turn my whole system into something unstable.

Jens