Re: debhelper, potato sources on slink

* Jens Guenther <guenthej@student.uni-kl.de> writes:

> Compilation worked fine. The only problem was that the package building
> process did not work. I could have installed the programs by hand, but I
> would have to bypass the package control system and would get problems when
> the real packages eventually come out.

Ah, okay, I misunderstood you then.

> It should be possible to build packages for local installations from potato.
> If it is not possible to do this, many of the advantages of providing source
> packages and not merely sources would go away. You would be stuck with

I agree that it would be nice, but if a package depends on things like
debconf, things become complicated (debconf may even be installable in
slink, but the dependencies/conflicts were too much for me). If it is
possible, yes, but if the pain is too much, then not.

If, however, an installation would only fail because of a simple
thing like an unsupported chmod switch then that would warrant a
bug report IMO.