Re: debhelper, potato sources on slink

Hi,

* Jens Guenther <guenthej@student.uni-kl.de> writes:

> I tried to build several potato packages for my slink machine. This failed,
> because some debhelper scripts were not available. After installing the
> potato version of debhelper, it failed again, this time because some command
> (it might have been "chown") did not support some command line option.
[...]
> 1) dependencies of debhelper in potato are wrong

I think not. You need to differentiate between build dependencies
(which are not yet implemented in Debians packaging system) and
install dependencies.

> 2) (some/all) potato sources are build with potato debhelper

Yes, of course. Why not?

> Potato sources seem to be useless for slink installations.

Some may be useless, e.g. sources that explicitly require glibc-2.1
or gcc-2.95.

> Does anybody know how to deal with this?

There is only a package-to-package solution, IMO. If building
new packages for `old' versions were that easy, we would have
more new/updated packages for slink. Thought out 'til the end,
eventually the differentiation between stable and unstable would
fade away...

Cheers,
  Colin