backing up a complete Debian GNU/Linux system

Hi!
Could anyone tell me what's a good hardware/software combination to use to make frequent FULL backups of a Debian system (operating system, "applications", and data).  I asked recently at a fairly large Linux group meeting, and everyone seemed suprised by the question and there were no good answers, which completely floored me... how could anyone smart enough to use Linux not back up their entire system RELIGIOUSLY?

I have thought about trying to use a CD-RW device, such as the HP 8100i or 8200i, but HP's web site seems to hint that you can't back up to multiple CDs in sequence, so that limits a backup to > 650 Mb.  I've also considered using an internal Jaz drive (expensive, especially the cartridges!), an internal Zip drive (110 or 250Mb - anybody use those with Linux?), or even an internal QIC tape drive.  Would that work?  How? Using TAR or CPIO? And does Debian really not recognize parallel port backup devices? Bummer... that's really limiting.  Especially if you've been using a parallel port tape backup unit since DOS 3.2!

Other considerations: ATX main system board, AMD k6-2 processor, WD 8.4Gb hard drive, and my need to have things work right - first time, every time, without exception.  PS, I want to avoid using a proprietary Linux distribution (ie, Caldera), just to get some stripped down commercial backup application.

Thanks for the help!
vcharlie@mindspring.com