Re: backing up a complete Debian GNU/Linux system

On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, xxxxx xxxxx wrote:

> Could anyone tell me what's a good hardware/software combination to
> use to make frequent FULL backups of a Debian system (operating
> system, "applications", and data).  I asked recently at a fairly large

Over the long haul a tape drive is probably the cheapest.  Yeah, you don't
get the other cool benefits, like making your own audio CDs, but the tapes
are cheaper than the CD-Rs and you can reuse them.  And if somebody
sneezes in the next room, it doesn't ruin your entire backup.

As for software, I would just as soon use tar.  You can use it to easily
back up any and all files.  If you only want to make a full backup, you
don't really need anything else.

> Linux group meeting, and everyone seemed suprised by the question and
> there were no good answers, which completely floored me... how could
> anyone smart enough to use Linux not back up their entire system
> RELIGIOUSLY?

Maybe because it's so easy to reproduce the data if something blows up?

Not a lot of people really have anything irreplaceable on their Linux
system.

> Would that work?  How? Using TAR or CPIO? And does Debian really not
> recognize parallel port backup devices? Bummer... that's really
> limiting.  Especially if you've been using a parallel port tape backup
> unit since DOS 3.2!

Parallel port devices are... difficult with Linux.  Some will work and
some won't.