Re: backing up a complete Debian GNU/Linux system

On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, xxxxx xxxxx wrote:

> Hi!
> Could anyone tell me what's a good hardware/software
> combination to use to make frequent FULL backups
> of a Debian system
> (operating system, "applications", and data).
> I asked recently at a fairly large Linux group meeting,
> and everyone seemed suprised by the question and there
> were no good answers, which completely floored me...
> how could anyone smart enough to use Linux not back
> up their entire system RELIGIOUSLY?

You do not backup the application binaries because you already have a
backup ... either the CDROM you installed from OR the debian archive. I
would never trust a backup of my binaries ... what if one of them has been
replaced with a trojaned version?  If things are so bad that you must
completely restore, you are probably better off reinstalling.

There are several good backup methods  ... taper, amanda, etc. and several
commercial backup utils for Lnux too.

As for backup devices, if you are talking about more than a few gig, best
to go to DLT tape. A CDROM only holds a bit more than half a gig. You are
going to spend all night swapping CDROMs.