Re: UK Freeserve Connection

On 21 Dec 1999, Mike Norris wrote:
> Just finished installing Linux and have everything up and running EXCEPT my
> connection to Freeserve.
>
> (this is not a Freeserve problem as the same happens with my Demon connection)
>
> Hardware seems not to be the problem as I get a connection ... scripts are
> exchanged and then I get rejected after Freeserve receives my password.
>
> Yes my password is the right one!
>
> I've tried wvdial, pon  poff & pppd from the kde window ... I get the same
> rejection every time.
>
> There is something going wrong with the PAP protocols ...
> .. I'm now lost in the files
>
> pppconfig
> wvdialconf
> /etc/chatscripts ...
> /etc/ppp/peers ...
> /etc/ppp/options ...
> /etc/ppp/pap-secrets ...
>
> including the
>                 /usr/doc/ppp-HOWTO confusethehelloutofauser
>

> and thoroughly confused about the whole process of connecting to my provider.
>
> I'm at the table banging/screaming stage!
>
> Can someone HELP me with a simple IDIOT-PROOF guide on connecting up!
>
> Regards.
>
> --
>  ..  Just a Physicist playing with the Universe ..
> Mike Norris resides in the English Lake District
>       ... Acorn StrongArm 233MHz RiscPC ...

Here is my /etc/ppp/peers/freeserve; works for me!

# This file was generated by pppconfig.  You can edit the following lines
# but please do not delete lines or the change the comments or you will
# confuse pppconfig.
noauth         #pppconfig_noauth
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/freeserve"  #pppconfig_connect
debug          #pppconfig_debug
/dev/ttyS0       #pppconfig_dev
115200      #pppconfig_speed
defaultroute         #pppconfig_route
noipdefault      #pppconfig_ipdefault
user pentelikon.freeserve.co.uk #pppconfig_user
# End of pppconfig controlled lines.  You can add lines below here without
# confusing pppconfig.

And here is  my /etc/chatscript/ logon file:

ABORT BUSY
#ABORT "NO CARRIER"
ABORT VOICE
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
ABORT "NO ANSWER"
"" ATZ
#
 OK ATDT08450796699

Hope this helps.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux Debian 2.1 (Windows-free zone)
Book Reviews: http://www.pentelikon.freeserve.co.uk/bookreviews/

"It's no go the Yogi Man, it's no go Blavatsky"  - Louis MacNeice