Re: "This is an unsecure session"

On 19/12/99 Jonathan Markevich wrote:

Anyways, I almost completely recovered everything by reinstalling using
a dpkg --set-selections on what was previously selected before.  Slick.
Then I copied over the /usr tree and up again!  However I am getting the
"This is an unsecure [sic] session" at the top of the xdm window, where
it used to give my hostname.  How do I secure it, and bring it back to
the glory it once had?

Thanks, everyone for your wisdom.

I am not sure why that is happening, but what it means is xdm was unable to grab the server or the keyboard to prevent another X program from listening to you type your password. perhaps you shut off X security inadvertently in the xdm configuration?

The xdm man page offers some explanation of this issue.

Ethan