UK Freeserve Connection

Just finished installing Linux and have everything up and running EXCEPT my
connection to Freeserve.

(this is not a Freeserve problem as the same happens with my Demon connection)

Hardware seems not to be the problem as I get a connection ... scripts are
exchanged and then I get rejected after Freeserve receives my password.

Yes my password is the right one!

I've tried wvdial, pon  poff & pppd from the kde window ... I get the same
rejection every time.

There is something going wrong with the PAP protocols ...
.. I'm now lost in the files

pppconfig
wvdialconf
/etc/chatscripts ...
/etc/ppp/peers ...
/etc/ppp/options ...
/etc/ppp/pap-secrets ...

including the
                /usr/doc/ppp-HOWTO confusethehelloutofauser

and thoroughly confused about the whole process of connecting to my provider.

I'm at the table banging/screaming stage!

Can someone HELP me with a simple IDIOT-PROOF guide on connecting up!

Regards.

--
 ..  Just a Physicist playing with the Universe ..
Mike Norris resides in the English Lake District