Re: UK Freeserve Connection

Mike Norris wrote:
<snip>
> including the
>                 /usr/doc/ppp-HOWTO confusethehelloutofauser
>
> and thoroughly confused about the whole process of connecting to my provider.
>
> I'm at the table banging/screaming stage!
>
> Can someone HELP me with a simple IDIOT-PROOF guide on connecting up!
>
> Regards.
>
> --
>  ..  Just a Physicist playing with the Universe ..
> Mike Norris resides in the English Lake District
>       ... Acorn StrongArm 233MHz RiscPC ...

We've all been there ...

If you re-read it, paying particular attention to section 16
entitled "Testing your connection script", it tells you how
to view the connection as it is being made.  This will
probably highlight the problem you're facing, and then you
can work on the solution.

If the log entries doesn't seem to make sense, post the log
extract here (minus any passwords) and someone will probably
know the answer.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a magic script that
works for every PC / modem / ISP combination, so some trial
and error is sometimes required.

I personally use Demon, and pppconfig got everything right
first time, but you probably don't want to hear that :)

--
Regards,
Paul