Re: HELP: babel and french produce strange things in potato....

On Sat, Dec 11, 1999 at 06:41:15PM +0100, Bruno Boettcher wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i just recompiled a latex file (big mistake as it seems...) that uses the babel
> system and the setting french..... now on compilation i get
> \select@language{frenchb} maong others and following this :
>
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> \add@accent ...l \mathchardef \accent@spacefactor
>                                                   \spacefactor }\accent #1
> #...
> l.19 \begin{document}
>
> nevetheless this produces a result, but everwhere where i used accentuated
> chararctrs, now i have a strange greek sign (think it is capital theta...)
>
> so what's going wrong????

I'm just guessing, but did you set the input encoding? (i.e.
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc} ). Using whatever iso-8859-NN is
appropriate for french.
| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |