Re: HELP: babel and french produce strange things in potato....

> > i just recompiled a latex file (big mistake as it seems...) that uses the babel
> > system and the setting french..... now on compilation i get
> > \select@language{frenchb} among others and following this :
> >
> > ! Undefined control sequence.
> > \add@accent ...l \mathchardef \accent@spacefactor
> >                                                   \spacefactor }\accent #1
> > #...
> > l.19 \begin{document}
> >
> > nevetheless this produces a result, but everwhere where i used accentuated
> > chararctrs, now i have a strange greek sign (think it is capital theta...)
> >
> > so what's going wrong????
>
> I'm just guessing, but did you set the input encoding? (i.e.
> \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc} ). Using whatever iso-8859-NN is
> appropriate for french.
hop i understood correctly, i added the same line as you told into my source
and got exactly the same effect.... the same file compiled under a SUSE-tetex
compiled flawlessly.....

ok perhaps it is clearer if i add the complete header:

\documentclass[12pt]{report}
%\usepackage{isolatin1}
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
\usepackage{epsf}
\usepackage[french]{babel}
%\usepackage{longtable}
%\usepackage{html}
\pagestyle{headings}
%*****************************************************************************
\title{Projet de fin d'études}
\author{Nassim Ziai ITC5}
\unitlength1cm
\begin{document}

follows the rest of the document.... removing the usepackage babel removes
also the problem.... since it compiles under SUSE i do not see why it
shouldn´t under debian....

--
ciao bboett
bboett@earthling.net