Re: Mail servers for large numbers of users

> A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far way, someone said...
> > It should include SMTP and IMAP. Users do not need to have login
> > accounts. Probably I will be using Potato.
> >
> > What should I start with?
>
> Either exim or postfix, definitely - they're very easy to configure.  I've
> not had any experience with anything else.

I've seen setups like these being mentioned in the Postfix ML (more than one
person there claimed more than 100000 users under Cyrus IMAPD+Postfix).

Cyrus IMAPD seems to be the way to go for that many accounts, but beware
their non-dfsg license. They like ISPs, though ;-)

Cyrus is not available as a debian package, though there's a pending ITP.

> > Are there good open sourced MTA and IMAP servers that do not operate
> > on system password accounts? (so I don't have to create 60000+
> > accounts)
>
> The MTA won't give you any problems - they typically don't care about the
> password database.  However, here's another reason why you don't want to

The MTA will give you problems if too many users try to bang on your server
at the same time, though :-) You'll need a paralelized-delivery MTA (i.e.:
not sendmail). Postfix seems to be able to handle this very well, and so
does qmail, I'm told.  I don't know about exim.

Postfix is very easy to setup, very light on the cpu and is engineered for
security and speed (runs in a chroot jail in debian's default configuration,
for example), but it is still beta. Exim is even easier to setup IMHO, but
forget the 'engineered for security' part.

  Henrique Holschuh