Re: WHAT THE F**K--- (Was: Re: Looking for right ISP)

On Thu, Dec 02, 1999 at 05:11:37AM -0500, Paul McHale wrote:

> I agree that I am using MS Outlook.  I think it is the best program
> available for my use.  I don't understand your difficulty.  I forwarded the
> message to my linux server and opened it with mutt.  It came across in plain
> text.  I double checked the outlook transmit message settings and they are
> set to plain text !
>
> Is anyone else noticing this problem of my message posting in HTML ???

Mutt seems to prefer the plain text over the html version of your
message. Pine, on the other hand, seems to prefer the html version.

> As far as breaking the thread, what are refering to?

Mutt has support for threads. That means that replies are placed beneath
the parent message, according to the In-Reply-To and References headers.

The thread display looks something like this:
1008     Dec 01 Daniel Yang     (  57) Looking for right ISP
1009     Dec 01 Phil Brutsche   (  31) |->
1010     Dec 01 Daniel Yang     (  55) |*>
1011     Dec 02 Todd Suess      (  71) | |->
1012     Dec 01 Steve Lamb      (  18) | `->
1013     Dec 02 Michelle Konzac (  44) |*>
1014     Dec 02 Kenneth Scharf  (  30) |*>
1015     Dec 02 Paul McHale     ( 140) `->
1016     Dec 02 Steve Lamb      (  22)   `->OT: WHAT THE F**K!!! (Was: Re
1017     Dec 02 Paul McHale     (  59)     `->RE: WHAT THE F**K!!! (Was:
1018     Dec 02 David Wright    (  76)       `->Re: WHAT THE F**K--- (Was

Notice how some of the messages are at the left margin with a *
character in the middle of the arrow (numbers 1010, 1013, and 1014).
This happens when the mailer doesn't include those headers, so mutt has
to guess that the message is a reply, and guess where in the threading
structure to place it (a configuration option will tell mutt not to do
this guessing, and to treat it as a new thread).

Note that your posts aren't breaking the thread, contrary to what Steve
claimed.

> Quoting the wrong way.  Feel free to expand on this one ...

The style of quoting used in this message, as opposed to that in your
message. It makes replying work much better.

--
  finger for GPG public key.
  29 Nov 1999 - new email address added to gpg key