Partion sizes - recommendations pls

Any suggestions on how large to create my partitions based on the
following usage:

Apache *only local* for designing my database and HTML (not sure which
mods), PHP, Mysql...

GUI heavweights : X, KDE or Gnome, Star Office or Word Perfect,
Netscape...

I presume /user will have to be as large as I can make it.

I'm concerned about root.
On my first test installation under Red Hat 6 months ago I only had X,
KDE and Netscape and whatever Red Hat insatlls by default with the
following partitions: / 100MB, /home 100 MB,/user 250,swap 50MB.

/root was already 80% full and too small at 100MB. how large would you
recommend?
(Of course I don't know how much bumph Red Hat installed back then).
with debian i should know what's going on.

Thanks,

Marcus

marcus@wordit.com