Modem Setup

Can someone provide a little help to a novice Linux User?

I have installed the Caldera OpenLinux 1.3 on a Pentium 120, 80MB RAM, 2GB
machine. The computer is an IBM Aptiva with an integrated
sound/modem/fax/voice card. (Don't give me that funny look, my brother gave
it to me.) I have Windows 95 installed on it also. I would like to get my
internet service running. I have tried to install the modem in Linux without
success. The modem is a 28K baud. Windows tells me that the modem is
installed on COM 1. Whenever I setup Linux with the necessary parameters
(/ttys0, Xon/Xoff, etc.) Linux tells me that the modem is busy.

BTW: The modem works fine in Windows.

Is it possible that I have the dreaded WinModem?!? How can I find out? Is a
driver available to use a WinModem? Why is the cold water faucet always on
the right?

I would appreciate any help that you could give me.

Thanks,

Dennis Sledge
Designer
SAFT America