Re: xemacs text-mode and gpm mouse issues

Ian> I am not sure how xemacs handles the gpm input.  GNU Emacs does
Ian> it through a subprocess and an associated Elisp module
Ian> (t-mouse.el).  If this is the case for xemacs too, the right Alt
Ian> key (AltGr) should work.

Brian> Yes, it does. Thanks for that bit of information. Having it the
Brian> right TAB key seems a little bit inconvenient though, as I use
Brian> the mouse with my right hand...

In the latest gpm releases, there's an emacs variable (I don't recall
the exact name, sorry; I read the debian list at work where I don't
have the gpm sources ready) that swaps the right and left Alts as far
as Emacs is concerned.  Look for it in t-mouse.el and set it in your
.emacs.

Ian> It is also possible, though, that xemacs already has this
Ian> functionality compiled in; that was another thing I remember
Ian> hearing from xemacs people.  In that case xemacs itself fully
Ian> controls which mouse events it grabs, and you'd have to deal with
Ian> this as with an xemacs bug.

Brian> I doubt xemacs would have it compiled it, otherwise, it would
Brian> need to know the configuration for my mouse.

by "compiled in" i meant linking Emacs with the gpm library (which in
turn talks to the gpm daemon), as opposed to running a separate
subprocess (mev) linked with libgpm and talking to the subprocess with
t-mouse.  GNU Emacs does the latter; I had the vague feeling that
(recent) XEmacs does the former.  But Emacs (or mev) doesn't need any
mouse configuration in either case, only the gpm daemon does.

--
Ian Zimmerman
Lightbinders, Inc.