xemacs text-mode and gpm mouse issues

Hello,

gpm makes it possible to cut & paste between
different console windows.

When running XEmacs on a text mode console though, it grabs
the mouse for itself (not sure how it does this). I suspect it
might be via gpm.

This has the following problems:
- it is impossible to see what text I have highlighted until
I release the mouse button.

- more importantly, it means I can't copy and paste between console
windows, as everything goes to/from xemacs private buffer.

- I have tried combinations like "shift+mouse" which would work in
an xterm, but not here :-(

Is it possible to use "normal" cut&paste with xemacs? If not, then
perhaps this is a bug in gpm for not allowing it?
Is it possible to disable mouse support in xemacs on a console?
If so how?

I apologize is this is documented somewhere...

(another queer thing I noticed, is under a console, the ALT key
works as the META key for xemacs, but for X-Windows, the ALT key
stays being the ALT key - ie there is no META key. Something
else I may try and reconfigure).
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>