Re: xemacs text-mode and gpm mouse issues

Brian> This has the following problems: - it is impossible to see what
Brian> text I have highlighted until I release the mouse button.

This is unfortunately impossible without modifications to x?emacs.
There was noise from xemacs team about fixing this (in xemacs) but I
don't know what became of it.  Myself I use GNU Emacs.

Brian> - more importantly, it means I can't copy and paste between
Brian> console windows, as everything goes to/from xemacs private
Brian> buffer.

Brian> - I have tried combinations like "shift+mouse" which would work
Brian> in an xterm, but not here :-(

I am not sure how xemacs handles the gpm input.  GNU Emacs does it
through a subprocess and an associated Elisp module (t-mouse.el).  If
this is the case for xemacs too, the right Alt key (AltGr) should
work.

It is also possible, though, that xemacs already has this
functionality compiled in; that was another thing I remember hearing
from xemacs people.  In that case xemacs itself fully controls which
mouse events it grabs, and you'd have to deal with this as with an
xemacs bug.

Brian> Is it possible to use "normal" cut&paste with xemacs? If not,
Brian> then perhaps this is a bug in gpm for not allowing it?  Is it
Brian> possible to disable mouse support in xemacs on a console?  If
Brian> so how?

Similar answer as above.  If it's done with t-mouse, disable it in
your .xemacs or site-lisp/default.el, wherever it is.  If it's
compiled in, it's probably a command line option or it can't be
disabled at all.

Ian, who was upstream gpm maintainer for a while.

--
Ian Zimmerman
Lightbinders, Inc.