Broken web browsing

I have a machine for my in-laws that I built using Slink and I got them
an account on MindSpring for their web browsing pleasure (about all they
will use this machine for other than Word Perfect).

My problem is that I can't get any web browsers to work.  I use wvdial
to connect to MindSpring and the ppp connection seems fine.  I can use
telnet, ssh and ftp to connect to sites on the internet.  My resolv.conf
seems to work fine and I can use "nslookup" to find the IP addresses of
any site.

I just can't get "http:" to work.  I've tried using Netscape, kfm, lynx
and wget and they all fail.  Netscape, for example, will wait for a
long time and eventually come back with "document contains no data".

I can use my own machine (also Slink) and the same MindSpring account
and I have no problems.  I have also tried using my wife's account @ GMU
for dialup with the exact same results.

I am trying to connect without using any proxies. I've made sure that
none of the browsers are trying to use any proxies.

What am I missing?

rgds-- TA  (tallard@frb.gov)
I don't speak for the Federal Reserve Board, it doesn't speak for me.