Re: xemacs text-mode and gpm mouse issues

    Brian> This has the following problems: - it is impossible to see
    Brian> what text I have highlighted until I release the mouse
    Brian> button.

    Ian> This is unfortunately impossible without modifications to
    Ian> x?emacs.  There was noise from xemacs team about fixing this
    Ian> (in xemacs) but I don't know what became of it.  Myself I use
    Ian> GNU Emacs.

I guessed as much. For now, I wont use that feature, but try to
learn the keystrokes instead. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't
a problem with my setup.

    Brian> - more importantly, it means I can't copy and paste between
    Brian> console windows, as everything goes to/from xemacs private
    Brian> buffer.

    Brian> - I have tried combinations like "shift+mouse" which would
    Brian> work in an xterm, but not here :-(

    Ian> I am not sure how xemacs handles the gpm input.  GNU Emacs
    Ian> does it through a subprocess and an associated Elisp module
    Ian> (t-mouse.el).  If this is the case for xemacs too, the right
    Ian> Alt key (AltGr) should work.

Yes, it does. Thanks for that bit of information. Having it the right
TAB key seems a little bit inconvenient though, as I use the mouse
with my right hand...

    Ian> It is also possible, though, that xemacs already has this
    Ian> functionality compiled in; that was another thing I remember
    Ian> hearing from xemacs people.  In that case xemacs itself fully
    Ian> controls which mouse events it grabs, and you'd have to deal
    Ian> with this as with an xemacs bug.

I doubt xemacs would have it compiled it, otherwise, it would
need to know the configuration for my mouse.

    Brian> Is it possible to use "normal" cut&paste with xemacs? If
    Brian> not, then perhaps this is a bug in gpm for not allowing it?
    Brian> Is it possible to disable mouse support in xemacs on a
    Brian> console?  If so how?

    Ian> Similar answer as above.  If it's done with t-mouse, disable
    Ian> it in your .xemacs or site-lisp/default.el, wherever it is.
    Ian> If it's compiled in, it's probably a command line option or
    Ian> it can't be disabled at all.

I didn't see a command line parameter.  I haven't seen any documentation
either, but will keep looking.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>