Re: Upgrade from slink to potato causes things to stop working

> Another thing to consider, this is a volunteer list. People reply when
> they can and when they have time. No one is *obliged* to reply to every
> single post made to debian-user.
Right, but it's a bit disheartening for me when I don't get help from the
Debian community when I know I could easily at Red Hat (note that I
hadn't even used Red Hat in a while, but that still stuck right out).
RH's mailing lists have more people which means more people to
volunteer to answer questions. When I go to newsgroups, it's easy to
spot a good or bad one. In a bad one, you'll see a list of posts with
pluses next to every other one or two messages (the pluses of course
being there because it means there are replies under the messages). In
a good newsgroup, you'll see a plus next to every single thread and lots of
replies under each of them. The same is applicable with mailing lists,
although with my particular setup I don't have them threaded. On this
list, replies get skipped over.

> Also, many people are too busy catching up on hundreds of emails
> received during the day
I understand. That may be even worse over the weekend. But still. RH
has it right.   : )

> I haven't the slightest clue why you are having the problems you
> describe. Its probably because my Debian Linux configuration is much
> simpler (dialup PPP access using a 56k modem)
Well all I need to do for my connection is have my network card setup
during Debian's base installation and then I just need to install the
dhcpcd package. After that, I can fire up apt-get update; apt-get upgrade
just fine.

> It seems that you are still using the 2.0.36 kernel. Why ? Have you
> considered trying one of the stable 2.2.x series ? Is this a production
> server you are running Debian on ? I am running 2.2.13 on a glibc-2.1
> and g++/gcc-2.95.2 system without any apparent problems.
I'm using a modified version of the Debian images that has all the SCSI
drivers except for the one for aic7xxx cards removed from it since they
conflict with my card. I didn't have any problems with these images before.
Now that I think about it, one of the few things differently that I did this
time from other times is that I had selected the generic SCSI module
(sg?) and also the lp (for the printer port, right?) module during the base
install of Debian. I wonder if that might be screwing things up and if the
generic SCSI module isn't meant to work with the images being modified
for my specific card.

Now back to these:
depmod: /lib/modules/2.0.36/pcmcia/SOMETHING.o is not owned by root

What's PCMCIA? I thought it was something related to my network card,
but when I go to http://linux.com/support/ (Linux.com is an awesome site.
It's what Linux.org should be), PCMCIA is under sound (?!?!?). I don't have
any sound cards setup under Debian yet (compiling a kernel and adding
sound support was the first thing I wanted to get done after setting up
Debian potato with KDE and some other stuff so I wouldn't need to use
Windows).

> Also, would it be possible for you to post the EXACT messages as they
> appear ?
Well there's a lot of the ones from the line I have above. I've wanted to get
the couple of lines right about that long list of depmod... lines, but by the
time it gets to my login prompt, I can't Shift+Page Up higher. Is there a way
for me to freeze the screen during the startup process so I can copy things
down? I can get you the lines right after the depmod... stuff.

> Also, have you tried running "apt-get update; apt-get upgrade" again
> just to make sure that you have gotten all of the recent updates to
> potato ?
Well after getting slink up, I did apt-get update; apt-get upgrade to get that
up to date the last time I tried getting Debian up (it didn't make any difference,
though, from not upgrading slink before upgrading to potato). Then I rebooted
and after getting back (this was during the last time. The two times before it
I didn't reboot and it didn't make a difference either), I changed the apt sources to
point to unstable and did apt-get update; apt-get upgrade again. I did apt-get
upgrade a couple times to get all the packages that were held back, but the
depmod... lines showed up when one of the packages was being installed
after the very first upgrade to unstable. Too many of the lines to be able to go
back and see which package was the one that was being installed (is there
maybe a way to have a log of either the startup prompt or a log of everything
I get on my screen when doing the apt-get upgrade?).

> One other thing: why is the PCMCIA module installed on your system ? Is
> this a laptop system ? If its not a laptop, PCMCIA does not need to be
> there and the Debian installer is smart enough to figure that out and
> delete that module during one of the later phases of the installation.
That's the thing. As far as I can tell, I didn't install PCMCIA. When I first had
setup slink, I didn't notice anything about it during the startup.

> Sorry that I can't be of much more help. At least I replied to your
> message ;)
At least replying makes all the difference. Thanks.   : )

--
Bart Szyszka bart@gigabee.com ICQ:4982727
B Grafyx http://www.bgrafyx.com