Re: Upgrade from slink to potato causes things to stop working

    BS> This is incredibly frustrating because I've posted a message
    BS> about this depmod...  stuff a few days ago and didn't get any
    BS> Red Hat mailing lists, as far as I could tell, *every* message
    BS> gets at least one response. Here several posts get skipped over
    BS> every day.

I have had happen to me as well. Often times certain posts go
unreplied/unanswered because people don't know how to help you or don't
have any meaningful suggestions to offer to you. Its happened to me a
number of times that my posts on debian-user have gone totally
unreplied.

There are certain problems that a number of users have had in different
circumstances and if you post a query related to that problem, you will
most certainly get a response. Other less-occuring, infrequent, and
exotic problems will result in the situation you describe: no one has
replied to your post.

Another thing to consider, this is a volunteer list. People reply when
they can and when they have time. No one is *obliged* to reply to every
single post made to debian-user.

Also, many people are too busy catching up on hundreds of emails
received during the day (like myself), might be subscribed to other
lists, might be subscribed to debian-user from their home computer and
are not able to check email from work, are too tired to reply right
away, etc.

I have received replies to my posts often a day or two after I made the
initial post. Overall, this list has been *VERY* good to me even if that
has meant downloading hundreds of emails when I get home!!

Now, back to your problem :)

I haven't the slightest clue why you are having the problems you
describe. Its probably because my Debian Linux configuration is much
simpler (dialup PPP access using a 56k modem), and also because my
upgrade from slink to potato over this weekend went without any problems
at all (woohoo!!).

It seems that you are still using the 2.0.36 kernel. Why ? Have you
considered trying one of the stable 2.2.x series ? Is this a production
server you are running Debian on ? I am running 2.2.13 on a glibc-2.1
and g++/gcc-2.95.2 system without any apparent problems.

Also, would it be possible for you to post the EXACT messages as they
appear ?

Also, have you tried running "apt-get update; apt-get upgrade" again
just to make sure that you have gotten all of the recent updates to
potato ?

One other thing: why is the PCMCIA module installed on your system ? Is
this a laptop system ? If its not a laptop, PCMCIA does not need to be
there and the Debian installer is smart enough to figure that out and
delete that module during one of the later phases of the installation.

Sorry that I can't be of much more help. At least I replied to your
message ;) Hopefully this reply will keep this thread alive long enough
for someone else more knowledgeable than me to jump in and offer some
helpful advice.

Regards,

--
Salman Ahmed