Re: Upgrade from slink to potato causes things to stop working

    BS> I understand. That may be even worse over the weekend. But
    BS> still. RH has it right.  : )

I have never tried RH's mailing lists so I can't comment on how "right"
they really are!! One other thing to consider is that people will tend
to reply to posts to which they can relate. Since I don't have any SCSI
equipment or printer with my Debian system, all emails that I receive
from debian-user that are related to SCSI equipment or printers, I
automatically delete without reading them since I don't have anything to
add to those discussions. A lot of people of have similar filtering
rules for high-traffic mailing lists such as this one.

    BS> Now that I think about it,
    BS> one of the few things differently that I did this time from
    BS> other times is that I had selected the generic SCSI module (sg?)
    BS> and also the lp (for the printer port, right?) module during the
    BS> base install of Debian. I wonder if that might be screwing
    BS> things up and if the generic SCSI module isn't meant to work
    BS> with the images being modified for my specific card.

My system does not have any SCSI devices (sigh!) so I don't anything
about configuring them. Ditto for the printer thing. But now that you
have mentioned the details above, maybe someone with a HW setup similar
to yours will have something to say.

    BS> What's PCMCIA? I thought it was something related to my network
    BS> card, but when I go to http://linux.com/support/ (Linux.com is
    BS> an awesome site.  It's what Linux.org should be), PCMCIA is
    BS> under sound (?!?!?).

The following is the description of PCMCIA from http://www.whatis.com:

    The PCMCIA (Personal Computer Memory Card International Association)
    is an industry group organized in 1989 to promote standards for a
    credit card-size memory or I/O device that would fit into a personal
    computer, usually a notebook or laptop computer. The PCMCIA 2.1
    Standard was published in 1993. As a result, PC users can be assured
    of standard attachments for any peripheral device that follows the
    standard. The initial standard and its subsequent releases describe
    a standard product, the PC Card.

I was going to say that PCMCIA is a standard for notebook/laptop devices
but I thought it better to quote a more accurate definition of
PCMCIA. linux.com is definitely wrong about PCMCIA!!!

You don't need PCMCIA for non-laptop systems.

    BS> can't Shift+Page Up higher. Is there a way for me to freeze the
    BS> screen during the startup process so I can copy things down?

Don't know how to do this myself! There might be sth in the debian-user
archives about how to do this.

Although I don't advocate (re)compiling kernels your situation sounds
like one where it might help. Have you tried to compile a kernel from
sources ? Either the 2.0.36 or one of the 2.2.x ones. Another poster to
this thread mentioned this as well. You might want to try recompiling
the 2.0.36 kernel and see if that fixes the problems.

Also, have you checked the debian-user mailing list archives at
http://www.debian.org ?

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com