re: killed my monitor

>Yes its true! My ADI MicroScan 6P 19" monitor just
>died on me last
>night. It had been making a lot of clicking/cracking
>noises over the
>past couple of weeks each accompanied by a slight
>flicker/bounce/warp
>in
>the image. But last night it was just too much and
>there was a really,
>really loud click/crack noise and the picture went
>blank. The ADI is at
>a repair shop right now (authorized ADI repair
center) >and luckily I
>was
>able to get a loaner from them.

>I am just wondering if this happened because of me
>misconfiguring
>XF86. My video card is a Matrox Millennium G200 8MB.
>The ADI's hsync is
>30-94 KHz, and its vsync is 48-160 Hz. In the
>XF86config program, I
>selected the monitor type as:

>   8  31.5 - 64.3; Monitor that can do 1280x1024 @ 60
>Hz

>and I entered its vsync as 50-100 since it falls
>within the ADI's
>specs.

>I am attaching to this email the XF86Config file that
>I have used with
>this ADI monitor under Debian-2.1 since early
>September. I'd like
>someone to tell me if I entered/selected some
>incorrect configuration
>value for XF86 that might have possibly contributed
to >my monitor
>getting toasted. I am pretty sure that I selected my
>monitor as "31.5 -
>64.3; Monitor that can do 1280x1024 @ 60 Hz" but I
>can't remember!!

I think it is unlikely that you could damage a monitor
with digital controls.  Most mulit-sync monitors with
digital controls these days are designed to operate
safely over a wide range of hor/vert and will not over
heat.  It is more likely that the power company set a
surge your way.  Also in many cases the
clicking/poping noises you hear are due to arc-over in
the high voltage circuits.  While not normal, many
monitors are designed to absorb excessive hv using
'spark gap' capacitors which are sort of like
'lightning arrestors'.  My 19" Digital Research
monitor pops like that once in a great while and the
picture jumps.  This will happen more often in a dusty
or humid environment.  The legend of blowing out
monitors with improper X settings (it CAN happen) is
due to people trying to run xvga on svga monitors with
rotary sync controls.  With a digital control monitor,
if you can get a stable picture without any foldover,
you are probably operating within the safe envelope.

=====
Amateur Radio, when all else fails!

http://www.qsl.net/wa2mze

Debian Gnu Linux, Live Free or .....