Re: suidmanager

* Martin Fluch said:
> On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Hans Gubitz wrote:
>
> > Is suid.conf the right place to change permissions for files (here:
> > xcdroast)? Which scripts change suid.conf? Where can I read about
> > suidmanager?
>
> The suid.conf file is used to track programs with special permissions, so
> that is easy to see, if they are changeing.
Speaking of suidregister... I find it annoying that it resets the settings I
have modified by hand - for example I want the screen utility to be
available only for the group 'screen', the tracertoute, fping, nmap and more
to be available only to the 'adm' group. The suid.conf file is a great way
to do such modifications, but not when they are reset everytime the package
in question re-registers itself. To get around it, I have just prepended to
the packages' names a letter M and every time suid.conf is modified by the
postinst script, I just move the M packages block to the end of the file and
run suidregister by hand. While it works, it is really annoying.
What do you think about slightly modifying the suidregister procedure NOT to
modify already existent entries? Or perhaps, as an alternative, provide a
means to localize the settings by including suid-local.conf file AFTER
processing of the suid.conf file?

marek