Re: pgp confusion

On Fri, Nov 12, 1999 at 06:36:31PM +1100, Shao Zhang wrote:

> 	Is pgp5 backward compatible with pgp2? I have an email which is
> 	encrypted using pgp5 with my pubring generated by pgp2, but I
> 	could not seem to open it using pgp2.
>
> 	If I upgrade to pgp5, do I need to generate another keyring? If
> 	I do, should I use RSA or DSS for signing and encrypting email?
> 	If I don't need to generate another keyring, then I am having
> 	trouble to retrieve the keyring info using pgpk -l.
>
> 	Also, is gpg compatable with the both? Which one should I use?

FWIW I'm running PGP 2.6.3i and GPG. GPG is compatible with PGP 5 and
can be hacked to support PGP 2 AFAIK, but there are patent issues with
that.

PGP 2 will not support PGP5 emails - PGP5 changes the encryption method
and v2 doesn't support this.

J.

--
Trust me, you wouldn't like us when we're angry.
This .sig was brought to you by the letter G and the numbers 5 & 20