Re: debconf frontend error

> > I realize I made a mistake choosing Gtk, what I would like to know is
how to
> > set the default Frontend to something else.
>
> dpkg-reconfigure debconf

I thought this fixed the problem (although it does not reprompt me for a
frontend unless I first 'rm /var/lib/debconf/debconf.db') However, now
debconf seems to be horribly broken. After choosing Text as my front end, I
am now getting the following errors on apt-get upgrade:

stty: standard input: Invalid argument
stty: standard input: Invalid argument
Cannot find termcap: Can't find a valid termcap file at
/usr/lib/perl5/5.005/Term/ReadLine.pm line 305

Use of uninitialized value at /usr/lib/perl5/Debian/DebConf/FrontEnd/Text.pm
line 87, <GEN10> chunk 3.
Use of uninitialized value at /usr/lib/perl5/Debian/DebConf/FrontEnd/Text.pm
line 87, <GEN10> chunk 3.
Use of uninitialized value at /usr/lib/perl5/Debian/DebConf/FrontEnd/Text.pm
line 87, <GEN10> chunk 3.
<snip screenfuls of these lines>
Out of memory!
Out of memory!
E: Sub-process dpkg-preconfig --apt recieved a segmentation fault.
E: Failure running script dpkg-preconfig --apt

I went throught the same process again, and chose dialog this time. Then
apt-get upgrade shows:

stty: standard input: Invalid argument
stty: standard input: Invalid argument
Use of uninitialized value at
/usr/lib/perl5/Debian/DebConf/FrontEnd/Dialog.pm line 177, <GEN10> chunk 23.
Use of uninitialized value at
/usr/lib/perl5/Debian/DebConf/FrontEnd/Dialog.pm line 177, <GEN10> chunk 23.
This shouldn't happen at /usr/lib/perl5/5.005/Text/Wrap.pm line 45, <GEN10>
chunk 23.
E: Sub-process dpkg-preconfig --apt returned an error code (255)
E: Failure running script dpkg-preconfig --apt

What can I do?

Charles Lewis, Director of Administrative Computing
Southwestern Adventist University, Keene, TX
(817)556-4720  lewisc@swau.edu  FAX (360)397-7952