Re: Getting apt-get to explain things

On Fri, Nov 12, 1999 at 12:16:34AM +0100, peter karlsson wrote:
> How can I get apt-get to explain *why* it wants to remove a package?
>
> I can't find any reasoning why it want to remove one of the packages I have
> installed, especially since it is not in the main distribution, and does not
> depend on any package from it. I would like apt-get to explain to me
> somehow, how the package ended up on the remove list when doing a "apt-get
> dist-upgrade".

One or more of the new packages either conflicts with or replaces
the package that apt-get wants to remove.  If you tell us what the
package is that your concerned about, perhaps we could make some
guesses as to the likely culprit.

You could also first try an "upgrade" before "dist-upgrade", since
according to the man page "under no circumstances are currently
installed   packages removed" with that option.  At least it will
narrow down the list of packages that could be causing the problem.

You are right though--it would be nice if apt could be more verbose
about explaining it's decisions.

-Kevin