Re: debconf frontend error

Charles Lewis wrote:
> Getting the following debconf frontend errors periodically:
>
> Gtk-WARNING **: Cannot init gtk at
> /usr/lib/perl5/Debian/DebConf/FrontEnd/Gtk.pm line 53
> debconf: failed to initialize Gtk frontend
> debconf: falling back to Dialog frontend
>
> This is a minor problem really, but it's annoying because I have looked
> through all the docs & scripts for a place to configure this yet without
> success. Can anyone relieve my ignorance?

Well, first of all, you shouldn't be trying to use the gtk frontend, as it
has major problems. You were told this when you configured debconf, and you
picked it anyway.

You probably don't have things set up to allow root to run X programs. If
you set DEBCONF_DEBUG=1 in the environment, you can see exactly why the gtk
frontend is failing.

--
see shy jo