installation and such

I'm pretty much now at the give-up point in trying to
install debian.

This is indeed a very hard thing for me to do, since I
used to install 68k bsd systems manually (building
scripts to mknod all the devices and such).

I have now downloaded the ENTIRE debian tree, hoping
that would help, but all I've done is waste download
time.

If I select "update" and then try to install, it looks
for dpkg-perl part 1 and then fails when it can't find
it (it says "I am looking for version   of dpkg-perl"
- i.e. there is something seriously screwy with the
script).
If I don't select update, it installs a bunch of the
programs that were selected, but it fails in the
configuration phase of a bunch of them (this happens
even when I select a basic setup such as
workstation-std in the quick-select program).

This is now my 6th attempt at installing debian.  I
have so far not made it past the dselect phase even
once.

All I want to do is install a base system with tcp-ip
and ipx networking, dhcpcd, X, and a basic window
manager, so that I can go and get the latest kde, run
some kind of GUI package manager, and then install any
other things as I need them.
I have no need for sendmail, ftpd, httpd, emacs, tex,
and just about 98% of the other stuff that seems to
get installed anytime you select anything besides the
base install.

Is there any way I can do this with Debian, or should
I be seeking a different distribution?

=====