From: E.L. Meijer (Eric) [mailto:tgakem@sg10.chem.tue.nl]
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 1999 3:37 AM
To: debian
Subject: Re: Does anyone use ZIP disks to backup/restore their system?
How?

On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 06:29:45PM -0800, John Miskinis wrote:
> Hi,

[...]

>     This leads me to ask if most people just backup their important
> files on linux, and if they lose their system, they reinstall from
> scratch, then restore just their important (user modified) files?

Not even that.  I only safeguard my own products (TeX files, fractals,
programs).  The rest I have on CD, and the second time I install
something I usually configure things faster.  Sometimes it is nice to
try some new settings.

>     This is how I always worked on Windows 95.  If I had a builtin
> CDROM, and linux was easier to install I might opt for this, but
> on my Thinkpad 560, it took me 4-5 hours to get everything back.

It probably would take me the same amount of time.  But then again, it
doesn't happen a lot.

Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)