Potato: MAKEDEV doesn't recognize ht device

Greetings,
I have an ide tape drive that I know works (had it running in slink)
with linux. I recently did a complete install of potato from scratch,
using slinks bootfloppies. I have a custom 2.2.10 kernel with the ide
tape support compiled in. when I run MAKEDEV update it horks on ht with

/sbin/MAKEDEV: don't know what "ht" is
/sbin/MAKEDEV: don't know what "ht" is

ht is listed in /proc/devices and both of my ide channels are listed in
/proc/interrupts. I am at a loss. Can some one please point me in the
right direction so that I can recover some of my old stuff? Thanks in
advance.

--
Frisco Rose             "By any other name, I would smell the same"
E.O.U. Student          rosef@eou.edu (541) 962-4026

Science Journal Ed.     scijou@scijou.eou.edu
EOU Hoke Center 307     (541) 962-3787
La Grande, OR. 97850