sound's (finally) fixed

Well, I've finally gotten sound set up correctly using the tried-and-true
technique of comparing my non-working setup to a similar one that works.  I
copied over the isapnp.conf from my Mandrake partition (which seems to do a
ton more than the old one) and edited the modconf file by hand.  Here's what
I put in:

----
pre-install sound dmabuf=1
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330
alias midi awe-wave
options opl3 io=0x388
----

Now, using pre-install might have been a big factor, but I'm willing to bet
that the broken isapnp.conf file was the main cause of my problems.  HAs
anyone else had problems with recent versions of isapnptools?

Since I'm writing, here are two module-related questions: how do I get rid
of the "/etc/modules.conf is more recent..." messages?  They make the boot
process rather ugly.  Also, I get a huge mass of "module not found" messages
at boot time.  SOme of these modules seem pretty critical (the messages
don't show up in /var/log/messages, so I don't have specifics), but I
haven't seen any problems realated to them (i.e. the psaux module is not
found, but my mouse works fine).  Are these bogus messages?  How can I get
rid of them.

Thanks again to Jonathan, Aphro and everyone else for their help.  It's nice
to have sound again :-)

Bye,

-Chris

FREE Email for ALL! Sign up at http://www.mail.com