RE: Re: sound problems: what next?

Dear Jonathan,

Well, I very much appreciate your help, but I've managed to make the
situation worse, possibly as a result of misinterpreting your directions...

I've loaded the modules (using modconf) per your specifications with two
deviations:  Awe-wave was still claiming to be unable to locate the AWE
device so I passed it the same parameter that you had suggested for the opl3
module, which made the module load suucessfully.  This caused even more
problems down the road (I'll talk about them later).  Next, soundcore
sounded pretty important, so I loaded that on the tail end of the process,
which was probably a bad idea (though the results still seem to be the
same).

Anyway, here are the results of my changes:
---
sound Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than
/lib/modules/2.2.13/modules.dep
sb Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than
/lib/modules/2.2.13/modules.dep
Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
SB 4.16 detected OK (220)
SB16: Bad or missing 16 bit DMA channel
soundlow Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than
/lib/modules/2.2.13/modules.dep
awe_wave Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than
/lib/modules/2.2.13/modules.dep
<SoundBlaster EMU8000 (RAM0k)>

Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/2.2.13/modules.dep
modprobe: insmod * failed
----

An important note:  I had to hit ^C to get the boot process past its
attempts to load awe-wave, which I'd interpret to mean that the explicit
passing of the MIDI device location (which is what I assmue the address was
for) was a bad idea.  In any case, I still get the "bad DMA channel"
message, so I'll need to try something else ;-)

You had mentioned that the problem may be isapnp-related.  I've just updated
my isapnp tools and made a new dump file (which I've attached).  The only
difference seems to be that isapnp reports on used IRQs when it executes...
I am totally unfamiliar with isapnp (I run it and cross my fingers,
basically), so I'm not sure if it's set up correctly.  It does report
finding a board, and since the sb card is my only isa pnp device, I assume
that was what was found.

My next stab at the problem will be to try my isapnp.conf from my Mandrake
partition.  Any more suggestions would be welcomed ;-)

Thanks,

-Chris

FREE Email for ALL! Sign up at http://www.mail.com