Re: Kernel version 2.2.12: isapnp builtin or newbie fluke?

On Fri, Oct 22, 1999 at 01:34:55PM +0000, Jonathan Heaney wrote:
> If it's external, isapnp will make no difference.
>
> If it's internal, it may be that your PC's bios is configuring it for you (this might
> happen if you have a setting in the bios "PnP OS Installed" set to "No").

No. I had my modem setup under isapnp before the kernel upgrade. I do have a PnPbios, but it didn't work intil i did the upgrade.
so, you are probably right in this respect.
However...

> This might also be the cause of your soundcard problems.  The Bios can only go so far
> with configuring isapnp devices - it can handle something simple like a modem (just
> an irq and base i/o), but throw something e.g. an Awe64 at it and it will fail.  This
> failed attempt to configure the card in Bios can render it uncofigurable by
<snippy>
> isapnptools.
> When you do this, and replace your isapnp.conf file, do you get any error messages
> during boot?

No. I setup the module for the sound card a nd config'd it with isapnp with
little difficulty.
However...
Now I get virtually no signal coming through the card.
Even though my cdrom is hardwired to the card, I get barely any
volume coming through it.
'dev/audio' does the same.  It works, but its barely audible.
Any ideas?

> You should also upgrade your modconf / modutils files and try to fix them properly.

Yes. This is lazy of me.  I still got the error when I installed the module
but it seemed to load.
Anyhow, thanks for the help.

bw