Re: Netscape 4.7 vs mozilla for a potato machine ?

> 	Now NS 4.7 is a different matter.  Whether its any good, depends on who
> you ask.  :-)  For some it has problems, including crashing, but for
> others it works like a charm.  Personally (Communicator 4.7), its never
> crashed on me, and seems to be better than previous versions, but YMMV.

Personally, Communicator 4.5 used to crash in my system with glibc2, and
keeps crashing now after a glibc2.1 upgrade.  Will Navigator prove more
stable than Communicator (I don't need anything but the browser... when
not on Lynx, of course).

BTW, it crashes ALWAYS that I try to click on a (guess javascript) form.

> I dislike Netscape more and more with each new version. I am using 4.7
> with Potato and find it unstable. If you open another window, and later
> close one of the windows, netscape just disappears.  It usus inordinate
> amounts of memory and causes my swapfile to grow when I have already
> 128MB of RAM. I suspect a memory leak. It sometimes freezes, sometimes
> takes ages before it will let you type anything into the url box etc..
> etc.. It really is the one app which lets Linux down and is the app I
> have to use most. As we say in the UK, it is pants.

Ah!  I see 4.7 has the same *FEATURES* than 4.5 !!!

Honestly, many times I could do nothing if I didn't have Lynx.  I've
even tried StarOffice5.1 as a browser!

> If 4.06 works OK for you and is relatively stable, keep it. I am waiting
> *very* impatiently for the Linux version of Opera to be released. OK, I
> will have to pay for it, but it will worth it to say goodbye to
> Netscape.

Is Opera any good?  I don't know of it but for the debian packages.

--
Horacio					Anno MMDCCLII ad Urbe condita
homega@ciberia.es			Valencia - ESPAÑA