Re: Kernel version 2.2.12: isapnp builtin or newbie fluke?

bwarsing@intergate.bc.ca wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have some funkiness happening.
> Does the new kernel have automatic support for isapnp cards?
> The reason I ask is, I was having some trouble with modconf,etc...
> Perhaps you will recall the thread posted
>
> Re: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/2.2.12/modules.d
>
> Well...
> while attempting to resolve some boot-time error msgs with isapnp,
> (i renamed isapnp.conf and rebooted) i discovered to my delight that
> my PnP modem still functioned and that ALL the error msgs regarding
> both 'isapnp' and 'modules.conf' had been eliminated. The only weird
> part is, it didn't find my PnP soundcard. Still...
> :)
> Mind you, I also downgraded the 'modconf' and 'modutils' packages to
> modconf      0.2.26
> modutils     2.3.5-1
> Can somebody explain what I have done right so that I may duplicate
> this in the future?
> :)
> Thanks,
>
> bw
>
> --

No - isapnp isn't built in with your kernel.  It is coming with the 2.3.x dev kernel
but most of the drivers have still to be rewritten to take advantage of the new
feature (or so I read somewhere....)

Is your PnP modem an internal or external one?

If it's external, isapnp will make no difference.

If it's internal, it may be that your PC's bios is configuring it for you (this might
happen if you have a setting in the bios "PnP OS Installed" set to "No").

This might also be the cause of your soundcard problems.  The Bios can only go so far
with configuring isapnp devices - it can handle something simple like a modem (just
an irq and base i/o), but throw something e.g. an Awe64 at it and it will fail.  This
failed attempt to configure the card in Bios can render it uncofigurable by
isapnptools.

Suggest you set "PnP OS Installed" to "Yes" if this is your problem, meaning that the
bios will NOT attempt to configure isapnp cards, leaving it to your OS (in Linux'
case, to isapnptools) to sort things out.  The isapnptools FAQ says this, but not
explicitly, in fact it's very vague about the matter, however at one point it does
say that you should NOT have your bios attempt to configure the card.  The way to do
this is to set PnP OS Option to yes.

When you do this, and replace your isapnp.conf file, do you get any error messages
during boot?

You should also upgrade your modconf / modutils files and try to fix them properly.

The only way to get your soundcard to work is to get isapnptools working again.....

Jonathan.