Kernel version 2.2.12: isapnp builtin or newbie fluke?

Hi,

I have some funkiness happening.
Does the new kernel have automatic support for isapnp cards?
The reason I ask is, I was having some trouble with modconf,etc...
Perhaps you will recall the thread posted

Re: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/2.2.12/modules.d

Well...
while attempting to resolve some boot-time error msgs with isapnp,
(i renamed isapnp.conf and rebooted) i discovered to my delight that
my PnP modem still functioned and that ALL the error msgs regarding
both 'isapnp' and 'modules.conf' had been eliminated. The only weird
part is, it didn't find my PnP soundcard. Still...
:)
Mind you, I also downgraded the 'modconf' and 'modutils' packages to
modconf      0.2.26
modutils     2.3.5-1
Can somebody explain what I have done right so that I may duplicate
this in the future?
:)
Thanks,

bw