How to diable mail relaying in smail

I need to disable mail relaying on my system.  I have smail 3.2.0.92-3,
which came as the default with my Debian system, installed.  We cannot figure
out how to turn off mail relaying (an institutionally required anti-spam
measure), since smail does not use a sendmail.cf file.  Can anyone advise?

The only alternative would be to install sendmail in place of smail, but
wouldn't that be a step backwards?

Thanks and regards

Tom Kuiper
--
Internet:       kuiper@DSNra.JPL.NASA.gov (137.79.89.31)
SnailMail:      Jet Propulsion Lab 169-506, Pasadena, CA 91109