vnc-problems

I installed vncserver and xvncviewer.

The first problem is that I can run vncserver only only as 'root'.
I gave the read and write access to any user to the directory as suggested
in the faq file (/tmp/.X11-unix) But it didn't help. What to do next?

The second problem is that I cannot run xvncviewer on the local consoles.
Basically the server is working (as 'root'), because I can run a viewer on
a mswin machine to get an vnc access to the machine. On the local machine
the viewer starts, but it is complaining that it cannot open the display.
What is wrong? What to do?

hv
hvirtane@cc.jyu.fi

P.S.

Now this machine (, which has been shutting off the power suddenly) has
been running satisfactorily for a couple of weeks...